Friday, February 1, 2013

Shoe fever!

It warmed to about 70 degrees earlier this week and Spring (and Summer) fever hit. Along with it came the realization that I need some cute skirts and accessories for the coming seasons. In my quest to make a comfy, cute skirt, I broke my sewing machine. The talented (and down right awesome) Mr. Ber helped fix it the best he could, but if I continue to sew I will eventually need a better machine. 

Of course, I've spent quite a bit of time blog hopping to find tutorials and gather new ideas. One of my favorites that I've come across is Sweet Verbena. Go check it out now! It's where I got the idea for the shoes. I believe I've mentioned before that once an idea has been planted in my head, I have to do it as soon as possible. Well, after stumbling across this tutorial for the second or third time, I decided it was time for me to try it. First, I need to state that prior to this experience I was terrified to work with dye; now I want to dye everything! Second, finding cheap shoes proved to be a little challenge. Our local Wal-Marts did have the shoe mentioned in the original tutorial, just not in my size. I ended up finding my slip-ons at K-Mart for $6. K-Mart also carries a white canvas shoe with laces that would be perfect for this up-style. I also went to several different stores before deciding on this dye that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. I used the 40% discount and got the dye for less than $2. Total cost: $8

Materials purchased.

I followed the directions on the dye packet.


Rinsed with cool water after an hour.
All rinsed off and ready to dry. Remember, it will dry lighter.


Here they are! Dry, bright, and blue! You can see how much lighter they became once dried. 


I'm going to end up with a rainbow of shoes in my closet. Oh, and if you can't find the right shade, head over here to the Rit website and use their color formula guide!

Go. Do. Create and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment