Sunday, December 30, 2012

DIY: "Vicks" Shower Disks

I've lived in the south my entire life and my entire life, I've had problems with sinuses and allergies. It was nothing for my mom to rub Vicks all over my chest before bed, just so I could breathe. Occasionally, we experience all four seasons in our great state, but most of the time it seems to be an extended Spring/Summer/Autumn. This doesn't bode well for someone with sinus/allergy issues. As of late, my husband and I have been looking for relief. The other day, he told me about the old Vicks Vapor shower disks and how well they worked before they were pulled from shelves. Surely I could make something similar. Right? Pinterest, of course, had me covered!

I found the recipe below and whipped them up in no time. Seriously! They took, maybe, 40 minutes start to finish.

DIY "Vicks" Shower Disks

2 C Baking soda
2/3 C Water
Eucalyptus Oil - 15 to 20 drops (Other recipes call for rosemary and lavender also, but I opted for the one I had on hand)

You will also need a muffin pan and muffin /cupcake liners.

Mix all ingredients together, fill muffin liners, and let set 12-20 hours OR bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.

I baked mine, but I'm also impatient.


*Update: I got more relief mixing the stuff up than I did in the shower. I'm headed back to the store to get more oil and see if I can go about it another way.

No comments:

Post a Comment